An accident looking for a place to happen may choose a cluttered, dirty work area. You need a clean and orderly workplace to avoid falls, fires and many other kinds of accidents and injuries.
A Safer Workplace
For a safer workplace, use this checklist:
- Floors are free of water, mud, ice, grease, trash and waste materials.
- Traffic routes are free of stored materials and tripping hazards such as electrical cables and hoses.
- Exits and stairways are well marked and kept clear.
- Fire Extinguishers, kept charged regularly, are not obstructed by stored materials.
- Trash cans are put where needed and emptied regularly.
- Oily rags are disposed of in covered metal cans.
- Lighting is adequate for safety. Burned-out lights are replaced promptly.
- Tools are cleaned and put away, in designated places after use.
- Workstations are left clean at the end of the shift.
- Surfaces and equipment are checked regularly for hazards such protruding nails and rough surfaces.
- Smoking is confined to designated areas.
- Ashtrays are available outside.
- Lunch areas and washrooms are kept clean, dry and free from trash.
- Machinery is kept clean, free of oil, grease, and dust.
- Equipment is maintained properly.
At Rolled Metal Products, we are focused on employee safety and on-going training. Topics of focus and on-going training include RACE (fire safety), Caution (safety goggles), and we have made The 5S Methodology a part of our daily practice.